You’re unique, your brow products should be too.

Shop Finally Have Brows
Confidence

How Can a Redhead Be Born to Two Dark-Haired Parents?

Did You Know This Could Happen?

Posted on

Did you know a redhead baby can be born to two dark-haired parents? You’ve probably heard both parents have to have the redhead gene in order for a child to have red hair, so how does this happen? Well, it’s all about genetics. Let’s break it down.

Red hair is a recessive gene, and both parents must carry it for their child to be a redhead. This means the gene can lie dormant but continue to be carried on from generation to generation, and then one day pop up. It’s really all a game of odds, so let’s explore. 

If parent A has red hair and parent B has red hair, their baby will have the gene and is almost certain to have red hair.

If parent A has red hair and parent B does not (but they carry the gene) there is a 50% chance their child will have red hair. We saw this happen twice with Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s children — both are redheads! Read more here. 

If neither parent is a redhead but both carry the gene, there is a 25% chance their child will have red hair and a 75% chance their child will carry the gene themselves. 

So, that’s how two dark-haired parents can end up with a redhead baby. It’s only a 1 in 4 odd but it does happen more often than you would think. 

RELATED POSTS:

READ: What Are The Chances a Baby’s Hair Will Stay Red?

READ: Will Your Redhead Baby Have Freckles?

Rock it like a Redhead! 


Share
Tweet
Pin
Email