By: Guest Writer, Kelli Klus
Is your fair, redheaded skin being affected by the harsh winter? Cold, dry air and forced indoor heat can literally suck the moisture out of our sensitive skin during the winter months; leaving behind raw, dry skin that is more prone to rashes, itching and infections.
We know about some tips to keep fair skin protected all winter long, but as an alternative medicine practitioner, I always recommend natural methods to keep you and your skin in the best possible condition year-round.
Here are six more tips:
1. Shower less. You may not like this, but do you really need to shower daily? Unless you are rolling around in dirt all day, then fine…have at it. But the more hot showers you take, the more moisture is leaked from your skin. So try to be a little more European and don’t shower daily….those Europeans sure have nice skin.
2. Take Vitamin D3. Winter means less sunlight and less vitamin D, an essential vitamin for good health*. Most people are deficient in this vitamin, especially in the winter. Vitamin D does wonders for our health and consequently enhances skins radiance
3. Don’t over-moisturize. I know this sounds counterintuitive, but trust me on this. Once your body relies too much on moisturizer, it stops doing its job of producing oils that naturally moisturize. You don’t want this to happen. Moisturize in the morning and night but don’t get into the habit of moisturizing more than that. Use quality moisturizers and if they’re the right product, they will last you until your next moisturizing session.
4. Eat or Take Your Vitamins. Take Vitamin A*or eat lots of foods with orange and red colors, indicating a good amount of vitamins. Vitamin A is essential for beautiful skin. It is always best to eat your veggies for vitamins and antioxidants. Also, the omega fatty acids found in foods like salmon and walnuts will naturally nourish your skin. You can also take the fatty acids in supplement form, just make sure you have both EPA AND DHA in a ratio of 3 to 2, respectively.
5. This is pretty obvious but needs to be said because it is so crucial.. DRINK MORE WATER! The majority of the world is dehydrated. Simple test: Your urine should be clear. If it is yellow, you probably are dehydrated. Put some lemon juice in it if you need some flavor.
6. Rely on oils rather than moisturizers to replenish your fair skin. Oils are better absorbed and work with our skin rather than against it to plump and heal the skin. Sea buckthorn oil has a 1000 year track record for healing the skin naturally and works on most skin conditions. The oil is used in hospitals to regenerate the skin on burn victims.
Rock it like a Redhead!
*Always make sure to consult a doctor before adding or taking away anything in your diet.
Subscribe to the H2BAR Box: A monthly and quarterly beauty subscription box for redheads! Use code: IAMBACK for 10% off. Subscribe now!