Updated: August 20, 2020
A redhead’s skin complexion is notoriously sensitive and easily irritated; and the cold, winter weather can cause even more irritation! There are a plethora of winter threats to delicate skin like chapped lips and noses, dry skin, and a trigger of redness patches.
What’s a redhead to do?
Here are a few tips to keep your skin in top condition this winter:
1. Avoid Heat: Though it may be tempting to indulge in a hot bath or shower on a cold day, very hot water will dehydrate sensitive skin and could cause broken capillaries that lead to a red, ruddy appearance. Try to keep showers and baths brief and stick to lukewarm temperatures. Also, keep indoor environments on the cool side because forced heat is known to irritate delicate skin.
2. Don’t Forget the Sunscreen: Though the sun may be less intense in the winter months, UV rays are still present. Always apply sunblock before leaving the house and by doing so, you will avoid chapped skin! See our recommended sunscreens here.
3. Be Gentle: Sensitive skin calls for gentle cleansing.
Tip: Stick with an old favorite like Cetaphil to cleanse without stripping the skin of its natural oils.
4. Moisturize: Because the harsh, cold elements dry our delicate complexions. Make sure to moisturize daily to keep your skin’s PH balance in check. Peter Thomas Roth Oil-Free Moisturizer contains azulene which is known to soothe and restore hydration to dry, distressed skin. Or, opt for an oil like tea tree oil.
5. Get the Red Out: Many redheads are prone to redness and rosacea; the winter months can often make those symptoms even worse. Try Clinique Redness Solutions Regimen — it will cool and soothe irritated skin while blanching redness.
6. Mask it: Whether you’ve been skiing or attending a football game, being out in the winter weather for prolonged periods can cause even well behaved skin to flare up! When in need of a fast fix, try First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Instant Oatmeal Mask for immediate relief and soothed skin.
With a few precautions, you can enjoy the cool temperatures while still looking gorgeous. Rock it like a Redhead!
Subscribe to the H2BAR Box: A monthly and quarterly beauty subscription box for redheads! Use code: IAMBACK for 10% off. Subscribe now!