Hair wavers or large barrel crimpers have been popular for a while, but recently they have made their way back into the big trends. These tools look like three curling iron barrels side by side all coming together on one handle. The inner barrel and. the two outer barrels separate allowing you to clamp down on the hair and create a wave pattern. It’s the ultimate way for redheads to attain mermaid waves
Hair wavers are super easy to use. All you have to do is clamp down on the hair, unclamp, move the tool down, and reclamp. There’s no special twisting or technique as with a curling iron, and the result is a nice gentle wave. Still not sure how to use one? To attain mermaid waves with a hair crimper, follow these steps:
1. Prepare Your Hair: Start with clean, dry hair. You can apply a heat protectant spray to minimize damage from the heat.
2. Divide Your Hair: Section your hair into manageable parts. Smaller sections will give you more defined waves.
3. Heat Your Crimper: Make sure your hair crimper is heated to the desired temperature. A lower temperature is better for fine hair, while thicker hair may require higher heat.
4. Crimp in Sections: Take a small section of hair and clamp the crimper close to your scalp. Hold for a few seconds (the exact time depends on your hair’s thickness and the heat setting). Then, move the crimper down the length of the hair section, clamping and releasing it repeatedly as you move down.
5. Alternate Directions: To create natural-looking waves, alternate the direction in which you crimp your hair. Some sections should be crimped towards your face, and others away from your face.
6. Repeat for All Sections: Continue this process for all the sections of your hair until your entire head is crimped.
7. Cool Down: Allow your hair to cool down and set the waves.
8. Finger Comb: Gently run your fingers through your hair to separate the waves and create a more relaxed, mermaid-like look.
9. Finish with Hair Spray: To help the waves hold, you can apply a light-hold hairspray.
10. Optional: Add Sea Salt Spray: For an authentic beachy look, you can finish with a sea salt spray to add texture.
Remember that practice makes perfect, and you may need to experiment to find the right heat setting and technique that works best for your hair type. Additionally, be cautious not to over-crimp your hair to prevent excessive heat damage.
Watch TikTok videos of fellow redheads trying it out:
Favorite Hair Waver Recommendations:
Rock it like a Redhead!