As redheads, we try a lot of sunscreen products, and most of us probably have some sort of sunscreen collection (let’s be honest). Since sunscreen is so important for redheads, it makes sense to have different products for different seasons, occasions and to wear with and without makeup.
As we know, redheads typically have fair skin and often freckles, which means we have less melanin to protect our skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays. As a result, we are more susceptible to sunburn and have a higher risk of developing skin cancer. Using SPF (Sun Protection Factor) products is essential for redheads to shield their skin from UV radiation, reduce the risk of sunburn and skin damage, and lower the chances of skin cancer development. Regular application of SPF products can help maintain healthier skin and prevent long-term sun-related issues.
Recently, our very own redhead co-founder, Stephanie, visited the dermatologist and was recommended two SPF products, both of which she tried and loved:
This first product has hyaluronic acid and 5 antioxidants to help visibly reduce the signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles. Hyaluronic acid is a popular ingredient in many skincare products, and it can be beneficial for anti-aging purposes due to its unique properties. Here’s how hyaluronic acid helps with anti-aging:
1. Moisture Retention: Hyaluronic acid has excellent water-retaining properties, capable of holding up to 1000 times its weight in water. When applied topically, it helps the skin retain moisture, keeping it hydrated and plump. This hydration can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, giving the skin a smoother and more youthful look.
2. Improved Skin Elasticity: As we age, our skin’s natural production of hyaluronic acid decreases, leading to a loss of skin elasticity. Applying hyaluronic acid topically can help boost the skin’s elasticity, making it appear firmer and more supple.
3. Collagen Production: Hyaluronic acid has been shown to stimulate collagen production. Collagen is a protein that provides structural support to the skin. By promoting collagen synthesis, hyaluronic acid can help improve skin texture and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
4. Antioxidant Properties: Some studies suggest that hyaluronic acid may have antioxidant properties, helping to neutralize free radicals that can damage the skin and contribute to aging.
5. Gentle and Suitable for Most Skin Types: Hyaluronic acid is generally well-tolerated and suitable for most skin types, including sensitive skin. It is a gentle ingredient that can be easily incorporated into various skincare routines.
Overall, hyaluronic acid can be a valuable addition to an anti-aging skincare regimen, helping to keep the skin hydrated, firm, and youthful-looking.
Incorporating age-defense products into our routines early and wearing SPF daily are our best actions against preventing premature aging. It has an SPF of 50 which is perfect for sun protection. This Eucerin Sun Age Defense Face Sunscreen Lotion with Hyaluronic Acid is unscented and hypoallergenic, making it perfect for sensitive skin. It’s also noncomedogenic which means it won’t clog the pores. This SPF is white in color and leaves no visible residue on the skin.
The other product Stephanie’s dermatologist recommended is a sensitive skin-specific tinted mineral facial SPF with zinc oxide protection. Zinc oxide protection refers to the use of products containing zinc oxide as a sunscreen ingredient to protect the skin from the harmful effects of the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) radiation. Zinc oxide is a mineral sunscreen, and when applied to the skin, it forms a physical barrier that reflects and scatters both UVA and UVB rays.
The primary purpose of zinc oxide in sunscreens is to provide broad-spectrum protection, meaning it shields the skin from both UVA and UVB rays. UVA rays can prematurely age the skin and cause long-term damage, while UVB rays are responsible for causing sunburns.
Zinc oxide is considered a safe and effective sunscreen ingredient, particularly for those with sensitive skin or allergies to chemical sunscreens. It is less likely to cause skin irritation and is non-comedogenic, meaning it won’t clog pores.
When using products with zinc oxide protection, it’s essential to apply them generously and reapply as directed, especially after swimming or sweating, to maintain the efficacy of sun protection throughout the day. Regular use of sunscreen with zinc oxide can help reduce the risk of sunburn, premature aging, and skin cancer caused by UV radiation.
Eucerin Sensitive Tinted Mineral Face Sunscreen is a lightweight formula with SPF 35 and is also enriched with 5 antioxidants to help fight premature signs of aging. Although this sunscreen is tinted, it blends seamlessly with all skin tones. This SPF is also unscented, hypoallergenic, and of course good for sensitive skin.
Rock it like a Redhead!