Earth Day is a great time to take inventory of the actions you’re taking and see what changes you can make to be more sustainable! In honor of Earth Day, here are some of our favorite sustainable redhead-approved beauty brands to support, as well as some tips on being more sustainable in your beauty product consumption.
Support Sustainable Companies
Supporting companies that are working towards more sustainable practices, offer sustainable packaging and are giving back to the community are all great ways to be more sustainable in your beauty buying. Some of our favorite sustainable beauty brands include:
- ILIA – Not only are their products made to be clean and free of harmful chemicals, but they also offer a recycling program, put a percentage of sales towards tree reforestation, and create most of their packaging from recycled aluminum and glass responsibly sourced paper.
- Cocokind – Through tracking and reporting its carbon footprint, this beauty brand has made changes to provide more sustainable packaging and utilize organic ingredients whenever possible.
- Petal Soap – Single-use plastic is a big problem in the beauty and self-care industry. This sustainable, zero-waste brand is a great option for natural, plant-based, refillable soaps for your home.
- Eco Lips – From organic ingredients to all-natural packaging and solar-powered facilities, Eco Lips offers a sustainable option for smooth, soft, healthy lips!
- Chella – Get quality beauty products without compromising your sustainable practices with Chella! From clean beauty to giving back to the community you can feel good about purchasing their top-of-the-line cosmetics.
- Malibu C – Eco friendly, cruelty-free, vegan, and plant-based, this company is working to reduce their water footprint, increase recycled materials and create hair and skin products that are good for you and the Earth.
Only purchase what you need
It’s tempting to purchase a backstock of items to have on hand, but this can lead to more waste. Purchase your items one at a time and wait to repurchase until you’re almost out. Backstock items often expire before they can be used, and you may change your mind about a product but feel like you have to use it because you bought multiple.
All of the products above were in a recent H2BAR Box! Subscribe Now
Sample before you buy
Not sure if you’ll like a product? Order a mini size or head to the beauty store and ask for a sample before buying the full size. This will help you determine if you like the product and will reduce wasted product and wasted money.
Donate unused items
If you have products you know you won’t use that are unopened or lightly used and aren’t expired, consider donating them. These items can be given to a friend, donated to a local shelter that accepts beauty items, or sent to an organization like Project Beauty Share.
Recycle empty containers
It’s great to buy products that can be refilled or come in sustainable packaging, but even if the product isn’t in glass or paper, you may still be able to recycle it.
Finish products completely
Before buying a new product, go through your stash and make sure you’ve used up all the ones you have. Makeup products do expire, so using up a product completely will ensure you don’t end up with several half-used, expired items you have to throw away.
Rock it like a Redhead!