Ever notice how your skin looks and feels amazing right after a hot shower? That is partly because your skin is fresh and clean, but also because your skin was exposed to an abundance of steam. Facial steaming is a great DIY redhead skincare treatment that can help you get better skin. Here’s everything you need to know about facial steaming for your sensitive skin:
1. The benefits of facial steaming
There are a lot of health and beauty benefits to facial steaming, some of these benefits include:
- Better Circulation
- Opens Pores
- Sinus Congestion
2. The 411 on steaming if you have sensitive skin
Facial steaming can be used by those with sensitive skin, but it is recommended that you use it in moderation. Those with ultra-dry skin or dry skin conditions should either use very gentle facial steaming techniques or lessen the time. If you have rosacea you may want to skip facial steaming as it can cause temporary redness of the face.
3. Frequency of steaming
It is recommended to do facial steaming no more than once per week for no more than 10 minutes. When you get started, try doing it once a month and then build up to a more frequent schedule. Avoid doing facial steaming less than 24 hours before any big event or night out until you are familiar with how your skin reacts, as it will cause temporary redness.
4. Specific facial steaming techniques
There are a variety of techniques you can use for facial streaming this includes:
- Professional Face Steaming – Like any other skincare or beauty treatment, facial steaming is something you can go to a professional for.
- Bowl/Sink Steaming – You can try at home steaming in your sink or a bowl by adding slightly cooled boiling water to your vessel of choice and then holding your head several inches above the water while draped with a towel to trap the steam.
- Warm Towel Steaming – You can heat water to soak towels and apply them to your face for a direct contact form of facial steaming.
- Facial Steamer Machine – You can also purchase at-home facial steaming machines to help regulate the temperature and time.
5. After steaming your face, this is what you need to know
Once you’re done steaming, it’s important to be careful with your skin as it will be more sensitive. Since steaming does open up your pores, post steam is a great time to add face creams, serums, or anti-aging products. If nothing else, be sure to apply a moisturizer to lock in hydration and prevent dry skin.
Rock it like a Redhead!