Updated: October 26th, 2023
If this isn’t THE (happiest) photo of the Oscars, we don’t know what is.
Julianne Moore broke the redhead curse when she won Best Actress in a Leading Role for Still Alice. Thank you, Julianne! And, although Emma Stone didn’t win for her role in Birdman, she was beaming with joy all night. Both of their looks were true Hollywood glam and will be replicated for years to come. We spoke with PRAVANA Global Creative Advisor Sherri Jessee who gave us simple tips on achieving the looks.
“Emma Stone hit it out of the park with her wavy bob,” said Jessee.
L’Oréal Paris celebrity hairstylist Mara Roszak was responsible for Emma’s beautiful look of the evening. She told PopSugar, “Emma wore a gorgeous, lacy Elie Saab gown in a beautiful green color,” Roszak said. “The color against her red hair reminded me of a beautiful, watercolor painting – very whimsical and 1930s, so I wanted the hair to have a similar feel.”
PRAVANA’s Sherri Jessee tells us how to get Emma’s look in 4 easy steps:
- Distribute evenly an egg-sized amount of volumizing foam through damp hair and blow dry.
- Wrap small sections of hair on a 1 1/4″ wand. Allow to cool, then comb through with a wide toothed comb.
- Create a deep side part. To create asymmetry, twist one side back and secure with a few redhead bobby pins.
- Spray with super hold hairspray for long lasting hold.
We know you’re all wondering the color of Emma’s lips. Rachel Goodwin, Stone’s makeup artist, told PopSugar the secret. It featured Chanel Precision Lip Definer in ‘Rouge Candy’ buffed off with a lip brush and then coated with Revlon Ultra HD lipstick in ‘Tulip’.
“Another major trend of the evening was the low chignon, worn by Felicity Jones, Rosamund Pike, and my favorite, Julianne Moore,” says Sherri. “Her hair color is brilliant and the style is super sleek.”
Marcus Francis, Julianne Moore’s hairstylist, told Pret-a-Reporter. “We wanted to wear it up since we’ve done variations on wavy, shiny and texture. But with this momentous evening, we wanted timeless, so when we look back in 30 years it feels classic.”
Francis focused on the soft wave in the front of Moore’s hair, bringing her side part a third of an inch past her eyebrow arch to get a more striking look. “It needed that extra third of an inch to get that line,” says the hairstylist. “It needed that drama.”
Sherri explains how to get the look:
- Emulsify a nickel sized amount of styling creme in your hands and run through the lengths and ends and blow dry hair, stretching to create smooth control.
- Use a tail comb to form a sharp, deep side part. Brush the hair back and secure into a low ponytail at the nape.
- Pull the ponytail through a bun maker and pin the shaper securely with a few redhead bobby pins.
- Create a perfect chignon by forming the hair over the bun maker to cover it. Tuck the ends under and pin.
- Break open a hair oil and rub the nourishing oil into your palms and gently run over the front of the hair to smooth any flyaways creating a glossy shine.
There are many ways to get a chignon. See how the How to be a Redhead team does it via the how to video below!
Julianne Moore was certainly the woman of the evening and her makeup artist, Elaine Offers, made sure her lips screamed beauty. Offers told Pret-a-Reporter the secret combo. She used two L’Oreal lip colors, the first a brown-rose shade called ‘Unending Amber’ and the other called ‘Raisin Revival’, a long-wear lip color that she applied with a sponge and a swipe of balm for moisture.
Looking for the perfect redhead lipstick? Look no further!
How to be a Redhead Finally Bold® Lipsticks
Yes, you heard it right. Finally Bold® is clean, cruelty-free, vegan and made in the USA. Discover three shades made for redheads. Shop now.
Rock it like a Redhead!