Season 5 of the How to be a Redhead podcast has made its debut. We kicked off this new season with a much-anticipated guest, Jessica Gagen.
Gagen is a fashion model and science educator. She was crowned Miss England in 2022 and made history as the first natural redhead to win the title. She is passionate about aviation and women in STEM fields. For those not familiar with STEM, it is the field of natural sciences, math, engineering, and technology.
In May of 2022, HowtobeaRedhead.com posted an article telling redhead readers about Gagen’s ambition to be Miss England, and how she suffered from severe bullying because of her red hair. Gagen was crowned Miss England 22/23 in October 2022 and is the very first redhead to represent England. Read the follow-up article about her win here.
After winning, she posted on IG saying: “The moment a dream came true… I’m blessed to have been crowned the very first redheaded Miss England and strive to empower children facing torment for their red locks whilst showcasing the phenomenal opportunities which lie in STEM careers along the way. Exciting things to come!”
When we spoke with Jessica, we had some burning questions all about her experience as a young redhead, about the bullying, about the amazing path life has taken her on both as a woman in STEM and a beauty queen, and of course, we had to get some redhead hair care recs.
Here are some of the exciting questions Jessica Gagen answers during the podcast:
- We know life as a young redhead wasn’t so easy and you experienced a lot of teasing and severe and malicious bullying. What was it like for you growing up as a redhead, especially in England?
- How were you able to overcome the bullying? Or has it stayed with you as you’ve gotten older?
- We know you’re passionate about women in STEM. Tell us more.
- Can you say you truly love your red hair now?
- Speaking of your red hair, tell us about your hair care routine. Your hair looks so long and luscious!
- We know you will now compete in Miss World 2023. At the airing of this episode, filming for Miss World is set for May 2023 but the date is still TBA. We can’t wait to watch you take the stage and make redheads everywhere proud. How are you preparing for this? Are you nervous? Excited?
- What is the best thing about being a redhead?
You can hear all the answers to these questions and more, plus learn which drugstore hair product Gagen loves using to keep her red hair silky and smooth. Available right here on HowtobeaRedhead.com, on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen to podcasts:
Rock it like a Redhead!
READ: Stop Redhead Bullying: 4 Tips For Creating a New Story for Your Life