Redheads always ask us: How do I keep my red hair from fading? Ellie Kemper is a natural redhead and experiences red hair fading too — or “browning out” as many call it. Ellie sees celebrity colorist, Nikki Ferrara (who is a stunning ‘by choice’ redhead — by the way!), at the Sally Hershberger Salon on W. 26th Street in New York, NY. We talked with Nikki on Episode 14 all about how she achieves Ellie Kemper’s gorgeous vibrancy seen on the popular Netflix show, “Keeping up with Kimmy Schmidt”, what hair products she recommends for redheads and more.
LISTEN TO EPISODE 14 OF THE HOW TO BE A REDHEAD PODCAST WITH CELEBRITY COLORIST, NIKKI FERRARA ON ITUNES
(or search for us wherever you listen to podcasts)
Her product recommendations are the following:
- How to keep red hair vibrant: She loves at-home maintenance as long as it doesn’t have metallic salt in it (which most color depositing shampoos usually don’t have). Her favorite color depositing product for a more vibrant redhead is Davines Alchemic Shampoo and Conditioner in Copper. If you’re a lighter redhead shade, like Isla Fisher or Amy Adams, she recommends a less vibrant color depositing shampoo like Christophe Robin’s Copper.
- Redhead going white? She recommends a clear gloss with a little bit of gold (under heat, at a professional salon). It’s a very low maintenance to keep whites/grays in check. The color will naturally fade out. She loves a Sebastian Professional product for hairstylists to use — regular consumers cannot purchase it.
- Favorite Shampoos for Redheads: 1. Shu Uemura Color Luste is one of her favorite shampoos for redheads — for redheads with coarse or frizzy hair, this product will keep the hair shiny and weighs the hair down a tiny bit. It doesn’t have any color depositing abilities, but it is “really good”. 2. Antioxidant Cleansing Milk with 4 Oils and Blueberry by Christophe Robin. 3. Christophe Robin Rose Volumizing Shampoo
- Redheads with dry, itchy scalp: Christophe Robin Purifying Sea Salt and Christophe Robin Prickly Pear Scrub — she recommends using both as a pair at least once a week.
- Sunburnt Scalp? Christophe Robin Aloe Shampoo Bar
LISTEN TO EPISODE 14 OF THE HOW TO BE A REDHEAD PODCAST WITH CELEBRITY COLORIST, NIKKI FERRARA