Updated: September 2, 2020
Are you one of those redheads who think you won’t look good in red lipstick? It’s okay because I was just like you once. Well newsflash, redheads CAN wear red lipstick! It happens to look stunning on us if we choose the right shade based on our skin undertones.
Here are some tips on how to make a red lip work for you.
1. Warm and cool skin tones: Most redheads are cool-toned. This means your skin has a “blue tone” to it. For instance, can you easily see your veins? You’re probably cool-toned. In this case, look for a wine, plum or blue-red lipstick.
If you have a more yellow undertone, this is typically those with olive skin, look for corals, red-oranges, or red-browns.
If you’re more of a neutral tone, a mix of both (not common, but can happen on occasion), you can almost get away with wearing any of these, but in my opinion a bright cherry red, scarlet, or a true red looks fabulous.
2. Choosing bright or deep colors: This also depends on if you’re warm or cool-toned. If you’re cool-toned, try a bright shade of red, but stick with those blue undertones. If you’re warm-toned, opt for a red with deeper more rich pigments.
3. Color match: No, do not try to match the color of your red lipstick to the color of your red hair. This will wash you out! Reds that are richer in color and intensity are better suited.
4. Other makeup: Since red lips are very bold, try to keep the rest of your makeup more neutral. I like to wear a light nude, gold or champagne eye shadow, a few coats of brown mascara (black is okay too, but it might be a bit harsh), and a pale pink blush. You want your lips to steal the show, well except for your hair of course.
5. Clothing to wear with red lips: Wearing a red dress with red lips looks stunning, but other than that I would try to keep your outfit more neutral just like your other makeup. You don’t want anything to clash.
READ: How Redheads Should Wear Red Fashion
6. Shades of red hair matter: Women with bright red hair look beautiful in blue-reds and women with deeper auburn tones look terrific with warmer reds. Always try to experiment because each and every redhead is different and unique. Just remember that when you find the right shade of red lipstick you will know because your entire face will glow.
READ: The Perfect Lipstick for Your Shade of Red Hair
Rock it like a Redhead!