Edited: April 28, 2022
In 2016, the The New York Times reported that Grace Coddington had stepped down from her role as Creative Director at Vogue. The fashion icon said in an interview with the industry website Business of Fashion, “I’m not running away from Vogue, because it has opened so many doors. But it will be nice to collaborate, and nice to go out (and) give talks to people. It’s just another approach. I’m certainly not going into retirement. I don’t want to sit around.”
She definitely will not be sitting around. She is creating a perfume with Comme des Garçons, due out in April. She is doing another book on her work at Vogue and there is a film about her 2012 autobiography, “Grace,” in the works.
We commend her career, her future and her fabulous bigger-than-life red hair which has become her staple look.
Here are some of her best fashion looks throughout the years:
1. In 2012, Grace Coddington, 71, posed for the i.D magazine wearing a cobalt blue Céline coat.
2. In her memoir, Grace Coddington: An Epic Life In Fashion, she included her early struggle as a model, “My editorial rate for magazines and newspapers was £2 a day, and my advertising rate was £5 (although I must say I didn’t get many advertising jobs).”
3. Anna Wintour And Grace Coddington front row for the Donna Karan Collection at the Spring 2011 New York Fashion Week. Grace has been by Anna Wintor’s (the editor-in-chief at Vogue) side since day one at Wintour Vogue (July 1988).
4. Another photo captured from her memoir during her younger years. She has always been a fan of neutrals, specifically black. She commented in a 2012 interview with The New York Times, “Black is very forgiving.”
5. Rockin’ a mustard yellow sweatshirt during her early years at Vogue.
6. Grace hair color blocking in New York City in 2012.
7. Marc Jacobs Spring 2011 with Grace Coddington and her red hair twins.
8. Grace sits front row in a red button up and leopard print sneakers.
9. “They forced me into having an Instagram,” she told the Humans of New York social network outside of the Met Gala in 2015.
10. Grace where she is known to work her magic: on set. Photo captured in the January 2009 documentary The September Issue. The documentary, about the making of the important September issue of American Vogue (2007), highlights Grace Coddington instead of her boss Anna Wintour. Many said Grace “accidentally” became famous because of this film.
Watch some of the best clips from The September Issue below:
Just like Grace, Rock it like a Redhead!