Main Image: © Dean Drobot via Canva.com
You probably have heard of and/or tried a few Korean skincare practices or used Korean skincare brands. We are big fans of Korean skincare for redheads because the practices and products are usually made for sensitive skin. There is a reason South Korea is a leader in skincare and many of their practices result in gorgeous glowing skin. One practice that’s very popular in most Korean skincare routines is double cleansing. It’s become more popular over the years in the U.S. If you’ve been wanting to try double cleansing or maybe it’s something you haven’t heard of before, here’s everything you need to know.
What is double cleansing?
Double cleansing is a method of washing your face twice but with two different products. The first product is an oil-based cleanser meant to remove makeup, dirt, and sunscreen as well as loosen and remove any build-up on the skin. After the oil cleanser is washed off, a second cleanser is used. This is usually a gentle water-based cleanser to help remove all the excess oil and really clean the skin.
Benefits of double cleansing
Double cleansing can lead to clearer skin, reduced breakouts, evened skin texture, minimized appearance of sebaceous filaments, and removal of buildup. Double cleansing helps to clean the skin without stripping it of oils that help to keep it hydrated. It can also help to brighten the appearance of the skin. Oil-based cleansers are more effective in removing makeup and sunscreen, both of which can lead to breakouts and irritation if left on the skin too long.
In detail, here are more benefits:
1. Effective Makeup Removal: The oil-based cleanser helps break down and remove makeup, including waterproof products.
2. Deep Cleansing: The combination of oil and water-based cleansers ensures thorough removal of impurities, excess oil, and pollutants.
3. Unclogs Pores: Helps to unclog pores by removing sebum, debris, and other build-ups, reducing the risk of acne and blackheads.
4. Enhanced Skincare Absorption: A clean canvas allows subsequent skincare products to penetrate better, maximizing their effectiveness.
5. Prevents Breakouts: Regular double cleansing may contribute to preventing breakouts and maintaining clearer skin.
6. Balances Skin: While the oil-based cleanser removes excess oil, the water-based cleanser helps balance the skin’s natural moisture.
7. Improves Skin Texture: Regular use can contribute to smoother and softer skin texture.
Tips for successful double cleansing
For sensitive-skinned redheads, there are a few tips you should follow when practicing double cleansing.
- Wash your face thoroughly with the second cleanser. Leaving any oil cleanser on the skin could lead to breakouts. You want to be sure you wash all of it off. For some people, practicing double cleansing in the shower may help.
- Learn how often your skin can handle a double cleansing. Some people double cleanse daily. For others, it might not be beneficial to your skin. For sensitive-skinned redheads, 1-3 times a week may be sufficient.
- Avoid exfoliants after double cleansing. Because double cleansing removes all the gunk and build-up from your skin, it may be more prone to irritation directly following a double cleanse. Wait 12-24 hours before using any chemical or physical exfoliating products.
- Use a hydrating, non-comedogenic moisturizer after your double cleansing. This will ensure the skin stays hydrated but the pores aren’t clogged.
Double cleansing products to try (not all listed are Korean products):
Rock it like a Redhead!