Updated: October 25th, 2023
Each year, we round up our favorite ‘redhead friendly‘ color depositing shampoos and conditioners for redheads. This particular year we tested and approved a handful of products, and even included some in our redhead subscription box, the H2BAR Box.
Color-depositing shampoos and conditioners naturally deposit color in red hair. If you’re a natural redhead, add this to your beauty routine a few times a week, and if you’re a redhead ‘by choice’, use this regularly to lengthen time in-between trips to the salon. Plus, you won’t have to worry about your scalp being dyed red (yes, unfortunately, it can happen with some shampoos) and your hair will look vibrant in a subtle, natural way.
Before we begin, it’s important to know some key tips and facts while using a color-depositing shampoo:
1. Chemically-treated hair will take a color depositing product more intensely. Consult your stylist or colorist before using.
2. Color depositing shampoo and conditioners do not work for blonde or grey shades of hair. Warning: If you have blonde highlights in your red hair, using these products will turn them pink.
3. The product may stain so use a dark towel (or t-shirt) while drying your hair.
4. Always rinse your hair after conditioning with cool water. This will help close the cuticle and seal in moisture.
5. If you’re nervous to take the color depositing plunge, we recommend adding a few drops to your currently used shampoo and conditioner. This is a great way to ‘up’ your red a tiny bit.
6. We advise conducting a strand test before using one of these products below.
For best results, later on a color depositing shampoo. Rinse. Apply and lather a color depositing conditioner. Rinse with cool water.
Get ready for people to stop you and say, “Your hair looks so red today!” And, remember: all products have been tested & approved ‘Redhead Friendly’:
1. eSalon Tinted Love Color Enhancing Treatment: eSalon is the only at home custom hair color on the market. It was inspired by the idea that high-quality, beautiful hair color can be achievable without the one-size-fits-all approach of boxed color or excessive expense of salons. This particular product temporarily intensifies, enhances or neutralizes hair color.
2. Davines Alchemic Shampoo in ‘Red’: Another oldie but goodie, and for a good reason. This product, made in Italy, is a true luxury and makes red hair pop with 1-2 shampoos. Also available in Cooper.
3. Joico Color Infuse Red Shampoo: Joico’s Color Infuse Red gentle cleansing, color-depositing shampoo instantly refreshes the vibrancy and luminosity of red tones to help prevent fading.
4. John Frieda Radiant Red Color Magnifying Daily Shampoo & Conditioner: If you’re an H2BAR Box subscriber, this gentle formula duo looks very familiar. We included it in our February 2016 H2BAR Box [And it was in a April 2018 box too!] ..and heard rave reviews on how it magnifies the color and shine of your red hair.
5. Pureology Reviving Red Shampoo and Conditioner: This line by L’Oreal was made for us redheads. It consists of a shampoo, conditioner and an illuminating caring oil. All products contain a ZeroSulfate, oil-infused formula to make your red hair more vibrant.
6. Aveda Madder Root Color Shampoo & Conditioner: This duo enriches warm tones in dark and red shades of hair.
7. Quantum Riveting Reds Color-Replenishing Shampoo & Conditioner: We included Quantum’s full-size shampoo in our May 2016 H2BAR Box. This power duo restores the vibrancy of red colored hair at an affordable cost.
Red Hot Tip: Cranberry juice makes for a great natural hair enhancer. Warm the juice and saturate your hair with it, then throw a plastic bag over your hair and let your body heat do its thing for a few hours. When you’re ready, rinse and condition.
If you are looking for an alternative to color depositing shampoo, look no further:
It took many years to custom-make the Finally Glossy® formula and we’re so excited for redheads to enjoy it. We’re thrilled to release another clean redhead beauty product. It is paraben-free, cruelty-free, sulfate-free, petroleum-free, mineral-oil, and vegan. It also contains no perfume, is free of gluten and is silicone-free, phthalate-free, formaldehyde-free and cocamidopropyl betaine-free. This clean formula is formulated with Vitamin B3, olive oil, coconut oil and green tea.
Looking for the perfect hair towel to go with your new shampoo? Look no further!
When drying your hair opt to use a microfiber towel! Introducing the How to be a Redhead Soft Microfiber Hair Towel for Redheads. Because wet hair is at its most vulnerable, this custom microfiber towel gently and carefully absorbs moisture from your red hair and dries it quickly, all while protecting it from stretching and breakage. This design is uniquely shaped to wrap all of your hair securely (no matter the length), with an elastic strap to comfortably keep things in place. Your hair journey starts here, redheads.
Rock it like a Redhead!