By: Brenna Gray
It’s official: the modeling industry finally loves redheads; probably because we offer a bit of spunk and charm to the runway. Believe it or not, redheads were not always favored in the fashion world. Read the interview with Glamour’s long-time beauty editor, Felicia Milewicz here.
In a time when it is now the trend for everyone in the universe to go platinum Barbie blonde, a ravishing red tone on the runway (or in campaigns) feels fresh and fun. Each season, a few new redhead gals arrive on the scene to shake things up a bit, and make fashion a little prettier. Right now, models like Rianne Van Rompaey and Julia Hafstrom are dominating fashion with their signature bright red locks:
But, let’s not forget about the iconic redhead models of all time, and some of the new gingers on the catwalk scene giving all a run for their money:
1. Bruna Dapper: Her standout freckles made her popular at shows like Marc Jacobs and Diane von Furstenberg. See her in minute 1:04 walking Marc Jacobs runway for his Fall / Winter 2016 Trailer Womenswear Ready-To-Wear Collection.
2. Alice First – She made her runway debut at Derek Lam and quickly followed with a walk for Christopher Kane.
3. Sophia Friesen – Her red waves and nonchalant coolness was why she was one of Fall’s most interesting models at Gucci’s show. She’s new to the scene, but with her captivating look, I’m sure, she will go the distance. See her in black & white at the 25 second mark below:
4. Madison Stubbington – She is an Austrailian girl who grew up on a horse farm before getting scouted. She made her debut at Christopher Kane’s Fall 2014 show, but has steadily built up her clients since then. Many of her clients seek her out because she brings a bit of cuteness to their catwalks. She’s worked a lot with Gucci, Giambattista Valli, and Valentino.
READ: Vogue’s August 2014 ‘Fire Starters’ Spread, Featuring Madison Stubbington
See a collection of her amazing runway shows and pieces of work:
5. Lululeika Ravn Liep – She worked for a year with Louis Vuitton and now has added J.W. Anderson, Marc Jacobs, and Victoria Beckham to her list. See her in Marc Jacobs show at the 25 second mark:
6. Polina Oganicheva – She’s been exclusive with Gucci since the Spring 2016 show, but she has also been featured in an impressive series of work for Michele and Co. See her in Gucci’s “Director’s Cut” video for their Spring/Summer 2016 line:
7. Cintia Dicker – This Brazilian-born natural redhead beauty has been around for a while. She’s been in many commercials and has even been in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. See a look behind the scenes of that famous photo shoot below. She’s seen walking the runway a lot for Dolce & Gabbana and in ad campaigns for Tom Ford and Yves Saint Laurent.
8. Karen Elson – She has become the industry’s most iconic redhead models of all time. Her curly crimson locks and fair skin have landed her gigs with all the top photographers (Weber, Testino, Demarchelier), magazines (W, Harper’s Bazaar, all the Vogues) and fashion (Marc Jacobs, Chanel, Dior). See her return to the Valentino catwalk for Couture earlier this year, and a look back at her amazing career:
9. Maggie Rizer – She’s rocked covers of Vogue and endless runways after being discovered by Steven Meisel. She’s a natural strawberry-blonde, but has chosen to lighter her hair to a cherry-crimson in hopes of standing out amongst the era’s endless stick-straight blondes, and it’s worked! Take a look at some of her best work:
10. Anastasia Ivanova – Her wide-set blue eyes and full, regal features, Anastasia looks like she’s from Renaissance royalty. This Russian girl used to be a synchronized swimmer, but now walks the runways Maison Martin to Delpozo. See her, below, model after a Paris Fashion Week show for photographers:
11. Anniek Kortleve – She has a piercing stare, invisible eyebrows, and fuzzy copper hair. This beauty has been making a name for herself since the Fall of 2011. In one season, she walked an overwhelming 33 shows! She’s been cast in Balenciaga’s campaigns too.