The goal is to create a style that’s soft, pretty and most importantly, imperfect. Loosening up the look of a traditional tight bun makes it more versatile and perfect for a redhead’s busy life.
1. To begin, backcomb thoroughly through the crown if you want lots of volume or if your hair is very fine or sleek. If you’d like your ‘do to be less voluminous, keep the backcombing to a minimum.
2. Spritz some individual strands with hairspray to help define them. These pieces could also be curled to add more body.
3. Once the desired amount of texture has been created, loosely pull the hair back into a ponytail at the nape of the neck and curl one or two-inch sections.
4. The next step is to loosely twist the hair and wrap it around the base of the ponytail. Hold the newly created bun in place and insert the bobby pins around the perimeter. If the ends of any layers have escaped, simply loop and pin.
5. If bangs have been sectioned out, unclip them and style as usual. If long enough, they could be pinned or pushed behind the ears. The finishing touch is a generous blast of hairspray. Depending on hair texture, you might need minimum or maximum hold.