Let’s talk about licorice root beauty benefits for redheads! We aren’t talking about the black candy lots of people seem to hate, but instead, the plant which gives candy its flavor.
Licorice root is considered one of the world’s oldest herbal remedies and is used for a number of health ailments including digestive problems, cough, and combating bacteria. In addition to having health benefits when ingested, licorice can do a number of things for your skin.
Benefits of licorice root for redheads
- Helps brighten: Licorice root is most often used to help improve the look of dark spots. It is believed licorice root helps to disperse the melanin in the skin which can help to bring the natural tone back.
- Evens out skin tone: In addition to helping reduce the appearance of existing dark spots, using licorice root in your redhead skincare routine can actually help to prevent new ones — leaving you with a more even skin tone.
- Softens skin: Licorice root can help with collagen production in the skin which will make it more elastic and have an overall more youthful appearance.
- Heals scars: The process of healing scars can be sped up by using licorice root because it inhibits the production of melanin allowing the skin to heal with less discoloration.
- Calms redness/inflammation: Licorice root is great at treating eczema as well as calming inflamed or irritated skin and reducing redness.
‘Redhead Friendly’ approved licorice root products
When used in skincare, licorice root is often called glycyrrhiza. One of the telltale signs a product has licorice root is the licorice smell which is often present. Here are four of our favorite ‘redhead friendly’ approved products containing licorice root:
2. Night Cream
4. Eye Cream
Rock it like a Redhead!