If you’re a female, you probably think you don’t need to worry about shaving your face. Waxing and plucking can often remove the excess hairs that we don’t want, right? Well, kinda. Face shaving for redheads has become very popular and is more common than you might think.
Before we jump in, let’s get rid of some misconceptions. We aren’t talking about your traditional shave like men do with a multi-blade razor and shaving cream. And, we’re not talking about dermaplaning (although we love this service) which is when a professional esthetician removes hair, dirt and oil buildup in your hair follicles.
We’re talking about taking a small face razor and shaving at home. If you don’t want to get professional dermaplaning frequently, simple take a small single-blade razor and use it to shave the face.
Here’s everything you need to know about shaving your face at home.
Reasons to try it out:
- Better Makeup Application: Dermaplaning can help to give you a smooth canvas on which to apply your makeup. Our faces are covered in tiny peach fuzz hairs and while they aren’t really noticeable, they can cause texture in your makeup.
- Hair Removal: For some people, the peach fuzz on their face is dark and can be more noticeable. Dermaplaning can remove that hair if it makes you self-conscious.
- Exfoliation: Not only does dermaplaning help remove a layer of fuzz, but it can also help to exfoliate the face by removing dead skin, build-up, and debris.
Reasons to skip shaving at home:
- Skin Irritation – Those with sensitive skin may find shaving to be quite irritating to the skin. Especially if you have some sort of skin condition like eczema or acne. This is when you should turn to a professional to get your hair professionally removed.
- Ingrown Hairs: Whenever you shave any part of the body, you run the risk of getting ingrown hairs. The face is no exception to this.
- Upkeep: Once you start shaving, it is something you will want to keep up on. While it’s a myth that the hair will grow thicker and darker, it won’t. But it will have a blunt edge and can feel prickly.
- Dryness: Since dermaplaning is exfoliating, you might find that it causes dryness in the skin.
How to shave at home:
1. Cleanse. First, you want to make sure your face is totally clean and free of makeup or residue. This will also soften your peach fuzz.
2. Shave on slightly damp skin. Shave in short, light strokes. Tilt the razor and lightly place it against your skin Once you have the hang of how to hold it, use short, light strokes to shave the hair in the direction that it grows to avoid ingrowns. If you need, you can use the other hand to pull the skin taut and prevent the razor from skipping or tugging on the skin.
3. Tone, use serums and moisturize. Splash a little water over your face to wash away any leftover fuzzies, then follow up with a gentle toner, serums and moisturizer. Avoid any products that contain any harsh actives, like retinol or glycolic acid, immediately afterward.
Razors we love:
Like all articles on HowtobeaRedhead.com, product recommendations are important for redheads. Here are some of our fav razors for face shaving:
Would you try it?
Rock it like a Redhead!