By: Jennifer Haynes
Being a redhead means really getting to know your skin and learning how to take extra care of it. Redheads generally are prone to much more sensitive skin and it only prefers the best of products. I like to opt for the most organic/natural products. This goes for what you put into your body as well.
1. Cleanse your face daily with a gentle fragrance-free cleanser. My favourite is Alaffia, which is infused with rooibos and shea butter-both of these ingredients help to keep the skin extra moisturized. Most people don’t know that once your skin thinks it does not have enough moisture, it will start producing more oil and this usually leads to excessive breakouts.
2. It is important to use a toner. I wouldn’t buy a drugstore type because from my experience, they cause more problems than they solve. Once again, try to stick to natural options. Rosewater is an excellent facial toner (Adrienne & Stephanie, Co-Founders of How to be a Redhead, talk about this all the time!) . It’s gentle and helps combat redness and irritation.
3. Add more moisture by using an oil. My favorite is almond oil; but, if you have allergies to nuts, jojoba oil is another great choice. These choices are excellent in replenishing oil and moisture to your skin. It also helps repair acne or other scars.
4. If you are considering using a scrub, be cautious because they can irritate your skin. I love oatmeal! It is very calming and super cheap. And as a redhead, always make sure you have an adequate supply of sunscreen (at least 30 SPF) on at all times. Resist the tanning craze and opt for hats and cover ups.
5. Remember that beauty is not just skin deep. We also need to look at what we are putting into our bodies. Drinking plenty of water flushes toxins out of our body and eating clean, enzyme rich foods speed skin healing and help us feel our best. When you avoid the fatty, processed animal foods with little to no nutrition you can be sure to see a difference in your body and your mind.
6. My favorite is almond oil; but, if you have allergies to nuts, jojoba oil is another great choice. These choices are excellent in replenishing oil and moisture to your skin. It also helps repair acne or other scars.
Rock it like a Redhead!