This post was updated in May 2020
Redheaded ladies, one of the best beautifying trends to use all year round is a faux golden sun-kissed glow. The perfect way to attain a natural bronzed look is to apply it where the sun hits your face: forehead, cheekbones and temples. Now it is time to find the right bronzer for your fair skin!
Here are 9 tricks to remember when searching, trying and applying your bronzer:
1. It will warm up your face, but you want it to still look natural. Never opt for a shade that is two shades darker than your skin tone. Otherwise, you’ll look orange, dirty and/or artificial-looking.
2. If done right, it can also be used to create some contour & highlighting.
3. If you have very fair skin, as most us redheads do, you must pick a shade that is close to your natural skin tone. Opt for a sheer peachy tone bronzer with a hint of pink. This way your “bronzed-glow” will look magnificently natural. It is always suggested that redheads opt for a bronzer that is not shimmery & has red or deep brown undertones.
4. Ideally, bronzer must be applied after foundation and concealer. For fair-skinned redheads, bronzer must be lightly applied, starting with a sparse amount and building slowly, it is easier to add little by little. Remember, less is more.
5. For beginners, a big fluffy brush will do wonders. Always tap off the excess and sweep it across your cheeks, temples and top of the forehead. For more experienced ladies, a fan brush is ideal.
6. If you have larger pores, do not choose a bronzer with shimmer or else it will emphasize them.
7. If you are prone to have oily skin, try to stay away from shimmery or glittery bronzers, opt for mattes.
8. For the advanced: When it comes to contouring, the ideal way to create this look is to start just below the cheekbones and lightly diffuse it outwards, towards the ears. Then, apply more bronzer on the temples and top of the forehead in sweeping motions. Also, don’t forget to apply bronzer down your neck just below the jawline. You want to blend, blend, blend and make it look natural.
9. If you’re still scared of using a full-on bronzer, a good replacement can be face powder two shades darker than your skin tone.
Below are 7 recommended bronzers, tested & approved ‘Redhead Friendly’:
SHIMMERY OPTION #1: L’Oreal Paris Cosmetics True Match Lumi Bronze It Bronzer For Face And Body
SHIMMERY OPTION #2: Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick Compact – ‘Apricot’
SHIMMERY OPTION #3: Zuii Organic Flora Powder Shimmer Bronzer
MATTE OPTION #1: Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer in Sun-Kissed
MATTE OPTION #2: Benefit Cosmetics Hoola Matte Bronzer
MATTE OPTION #3: Tarte Cosmetics Park Avenue Princess
MATTE OPTION #4: Neutrogena Skin Blends Natural Radiance Bronzer, Sunkissed
Rock it like a Redhead!