By: Annjo Terrill
As a teacher with a couple months of summer vacation every year, I have the good fortune of getting to travel quite a bit. This summer, I visited the island of Cyprus, where my red hair definitely stood out among all the dark Greek curls. My frequent travels have earned me more than just stamps in my passport though; I’ve also learned plenty of beauty tips for redheads on the go. The list of summer destination possibilities is endless, but let’s simplify it to 3 popular vacation varieties, and talk about what redheads should know before hitting the road.
The Beach Vacation: What do redheads need to have fun in the sun? No surprises here:
1. SUNSCREEN – I know we talk about it all the time, but that’s how important it is! By now, you know the brand that works best for you. But, I would like to suggest, if you want a little tint with your facial sunscreen, to try a BB Cream. It’s foundation/sunscreen/moisturizer all in one.
‘Redhead Friendly’ Recommendation: Boscia BB Cream with SPF 27 for sensitive skin. This one-step product creates a lustrous, flawless finish as it hydrates, firms, and soothes the skin. The shade is light enough for redheads and the ingredients are designed for sensitive skin. It is a great option for vacation.
2. BIG FLOPPY HAT – Choose your favorite. Target has a nice, inexpensive variety. On this trip, I brought their floppy brim hat.
3. LIP BALM WITH SUNSCREEN – Lips can get extremely sunburnt too! Keep them protected all day.
‘Redhead Friendly’ Recommendation: All Terrain Lip Armor Lip Protection & Healing Balm, Peppermint, SPF 28. This lip balm has sunscreen in it, and a soothing peppermint tingle. You’ll love it on the beach this summer.
The Big City Vacation: First of all, don’t think that just because you’re avoiding the beach that you won’t get sunburned in the city, because the sun is shining there too, and you may be doing a lot of walking outside, so the beach tips still apply.
1. 2-IN-1 LIPSTICK – Choose a product that adds a little color and moisture for the ultimate kick!
‘Redhead Friendly’ Recommendation: Bite Beauty Luminous Creme Lipstick Duo in Tangerine/Lingonberry. In a single tube, you have a subtle berry shade for a relaxing day in the park and a flashy red for a night on the town.
2. WATERPROOF MASCARA – There’s no need for heavy makeup in the city, especially European cities. European women usually keep their faces simple. Lips and mascara are enough. But it’s hot, so waterproof is best.
‘Redhead Friendly’ Recommendation: Covergirl Lashblast Waterproof Volumizing Mascara in Black Brown.
3. FOOT CREME – I’m always surprised by how much walking I do on trips to the city, and if you want to look stylish, you may not always wear the most comfortable shoes. I love using this foot cream before bed, because it combines healing coconut oil with refreshing peppermint and rosemary. It’s a great way to end a long day of walking in the city.
‘Redhead Friendly’ Recommendation: Burt’s Bees Coconut Foot Creme
The Backpacking Vacation: This trip is all about packing light, so how can we condense our must-haves into a single backpack?
1. TRAVEL-SIZE LAUNDRY DETERGENT: Believe me, washing your clothes in the sink of a hostel every once in a while is a much better idea than weighing your backpack down with too many clothes. Tide’s Travel Sink Packets will do the trick.
2. INVEST IN A DRY SHAMPOO: Whatever your normal hair washing schedule is like, cut it in half. So, if you wash your hair every day, wash only every other day on this trip. This will save you some weight in your backpack, and we all know it’s better for our hair anyway. Bring along your favorite dry shampoo to keep your hair looking clean — it will help you through those days when you’re dying to wash your red locks.
‘Redhead Friendly’ Recommendation: Blo Pro Dry Shampoo
3. FACE WIPES: If you forget everything else, don’t forget these! You may not always have a place to wash your face, or hands, or feet while on the go, so face wipes can give you a bit of refreshment when you need it.
A general rule of thumb: if you’re like me, and need a curling or flat iron at times to tame your do, make sure you buy an electronic converter if you’re leaving the country.
Happy Travels! ¡Vaya Con Dios! Bon Voyage!
And as always, whether overseas or in your hometown, Rock it Like a Redhead!