Healthy, shiny red hair is what every redhead wants and one of the best ways to achieve it is by using hot oil treatments. These treatments add moisture, vitality and strength to red hair and help restore smoothness, silkiness and shine. They are very beneficial to the scalp because they increase blood circulation and stimulate hair growth.
There are many hot oil treatments are the market, but these are the best “redhead friendly” options depending on your hair type:
DRY RED HAIR
Since dry hair lacks moisture and texture, the best hot oil treatment to cure dryness is one that contains macadamia oil or jojoba oil to restore smoothness and elasticity.
Try: Queen Helene Olive Oil Hot Oil Treatment
OILY RED HAIR
Oily hair often looks greasy, dull and lacks volume and body, so in order to restore the oil balance and wash away excess oiliness, your hair and scalp need frequent washing. And, shampoo can dry out the ends and make hair difficult to style. Apply a conditioning and hydrating oil treatment like Josie Maran Argan Hot Oil Self-Heating Hair Treatment.
NORMAL RED HAIR
Normal hair has a smooth texture, a glossy finish and a healthy appearance. It’s full of body and bounce and is very easy to style. It doesn’t present greasiness or dryness, however, occasional hot oil treatments with argan oil will keep red hair soft and in optimum conditions.
Try: Hask Macadamia Oil Hot Oil Treatment
Once you choose which hot oil treatment is the best for your hair type, use these steps to apply your hot oil treatment:
1. In a saucepan, bring 1 cup of water to a boil.
2. Heat your oil. Take 2 tbsp. of your preferred oil and place it in a small bowl or mug. Place the small bowl or mug in the water on the stove (inside the pot).
3. Wet hair, if it is not already wet. It should be damp, but not soaking wet.
4. Allow the oil to sit for a few minutes until it is warm but not hot. You do not want to burn yourself with the hot oil. Remove the oil cup with an oven mitt.
5. Massage the oil into your scalp using fingertips dipped in the hot oil. Working your way from roots to ends, massage all the hot oil into your hair.
6. Heat a towel with a hair dryer or clothes dryer. Wrap your hair with the towel and allow it to sit for 20 minutes.
7. Wash and rinse hair thoroughly. Style as usual.
1. You can apply the hot oil treatment on dry hair.
2. Use plastic gloves when applying the hot oil.
3. Keep paper towels at hand to clean up in case of spills.
Rock it like a Redhead!